Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Man Behind The Drug

In the beginning it was just words. Empty, meaningless, spoken words. I called my friend Corey to talk it out and maybe bring out the emotions I was supposed to be feeling. Once it hit home it hit hard. My life was upside down. The strongest smartest man I had ever known was now a slave. I mean how could a man steal from his own son? Was I overreacting? Was I dreaming? I remember yelling, tears in my eyes, stomach in knots.

"I never wanna see you again!" I screamed, feeling like it was someone else choosing the words.

The words! The words were like poison to him. It killed him inside a little bit every time. He left feeling the poison starting to attack. I cried on the stairs for what seemed like an eternity. It surged up in me! The anger was consuming. I drove my mom's explorer downtown with a baseball bat on my lap. I was looking for him and the monster selling the cause of all this. I wish I could say this was the worst of it. I wish I could say these things only happened for a little while. Those demons took him from me over and over again. I never lost hope and the sad thing is that it might have been easier if I had. I miss him! I've missed him for the better part of my life. His end was a beginning for me. A beginning in many ways. I'm thankful for that, and I'll never forget the man behind the drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment